Faculty & Staff FAQ

How do I make a request for overwork remuneration associated with the completion of my Y 2017-18 and W 2018 courses?

Faculty seeking overwork remuneration for remediation activities associated with completing their Y 2017-18 and W 2018 courses are asked to submit this form to their Dean’s Office:


Will course evaluations be conducted during a Labour Disruption?

The Senate Policy on the Student Evaluation of Teaching continues to apply during a labour disruption. Surveys may be conducted for all courses.  The results of the evaluations conducted during the labour disruption are to be used at the discretion of individual instructors.

What are my obligations if I have been scheduled to teach in the summer?

Colleagues who are scheduled to teach in the summer as part of their 2018-19 teaching load are expected to do so unless the course is not being offered or they have a documented conflict between their teaching assignment and a prior research or other commitment as a result of the adjusted summer term dates.   As a principle, any colleagues in either of these circumstances will be expected to make up the course in the 2018-19 Fall or Winter Term.  Decisions not to offer scheduled summer term courses require the agreement of the Dean or Principal.

Does the Senate Policy on Academic Implications of Disruptions or Cessations of University Business Due to Labour Disputes or Other Causes (“the Senate Policy”) apply during the summer terms?

The Senate Policy on Academic Implications of Disruptions continues to apply during the strike.  Given that students who enrol in the summer terms will be doing so with knowledge of the continuing strike, we do not anticipate that many students would elect/need to seek accommodation under the policy.

Based on the planned summer offerings, we also expect that the courses themselves will be able to run to completion. In particular, it is expected that faculty who have not presented a valid reason for not teaching an assigned course will run their course at the scheduled time and place to its conclusion in accordance with Article 11.01(a) of the YUFA collective agreement.

How and when should I submit final grades to help students complete their courses?

The grades module (GAM) has opened to allow instructors or departments to upload grades as soon as they are available.  Note that on the GAM landing page it may still indicate a date of April 30 as last date to enter grades. This is a system-driven date but it will be modified once we have more information about sessional dates.

NEW: What can I do if I believe my file for Tenure & Promotion has been affected by a labour disruption?

If you believe that your ability to assemble your file for candidacy or tenure has been affected by the labour disruption, you may submit a written request to your Dean/Principal for a full-year stop-out of the Tenure & Promotion process.

NEW:  How will my request for a stop-out be assessed?

Each request is assessed on its own merits. In this context, requests will be assessed based on the extent to which the strike impeded or delayed the candidate’s ability to assemble their file.