What is a labour disruption or strike?
A labour disruption, commonly known as a “strike” is a form of peaceful protest wherein a group of employees with a common purpose refuse to work and stop all services they normally provide. The usual purpose of a strike is to compel an employer to agree to terms and conditions of employment. Strikes can occur when employees are negotiating terms of employment with their employer, as with York University and CUPE 3903.
I am an international student. Who can I talk to about issues I may experience during the labour disruption?
International students can contact York International (YI) regarding study permits, UHIP and any non-academic questions through one of the following ways:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Phone: (416) 736-5177; and
- In person: 200 York Lanes (second floor of York Lanes). The York International office is open from Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm.
York International will be updating their website regularly with crucial information regarding immigration policies and UHIP under the labour disruption situation.
With respect to your Study Permit:
- Ensure that your Study Permit remains valid at all times.
- Ensure that you have entered your Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Universal Client ID (UCI) number onto your student record (click “Update my international student information” from My Student Records on My Online Services. This will enable York International to assist you as necessary.
With respect to work permits, UHIP coverage or your study abroad term at York, please contact the appropriate support service below:
For any questions related to Study Permit, Off-campus Work, Post-graduate Work Permit, etc., please contact email@example.com
For any questions regarding changes to UHIP coverage, international and exchange students are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org
YI Exchange Students from York Partner Institutions:
Exchange students can email email@example.com with any questions regarding their exchange term at York during the labour disruption.
I am an international student. What community social events are taking place on campus during the labour disruption?
York International is facilitating special social events for international students to participate in during the labour disruption. Please see our Events Calendar to learn more about these events. The event calendar will be updated regularly so please visit it frequently and feel free to contact York International at firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone 416-736-5177 or visit our offices.
If you require accessibility or counselling and development services, please see the FAQ for Students Requiring Counselling, Accessibility or Accomodation Services.