International Students FAQ

Stay up to date
Make sure we have your most up-to-date contact information to ensure that you are receiving official emails from York University about matters concerning your student record and financial status. If you have unsubscribed to York’s email service at any time (note we’re not talking about email), you can resubscribe by sending an email request to Please include the preferred email address that is on your student record in your request. Verify or update your contact information.

For general information about course completion options and remediation for Fall/Winter 2017-2018 and Winter 2018 courses, please visit the Student Information Regarding Remediation web page. If you need to discuss your specific situation relating to your International Student status, please contact one of the following:

For immigration/study permit questions:


For inbound exchange: (coming to Keele or Glendon campus):

For outbound exchange (travelling abroad):

What is a labour disruption or strike?

A labour disruption, commonly known as a “strike” is a form of peaceful protest wherein a group of employees with a common purpose refuse to work and stop all services they normally provide.  The usual purpose of a strike is to compel an employer to agree to terms and conditions of employment. Strikes can occur when employees are negotiating terms of employment with their employer, as with York University and CUPE 3903.

I am an international student. Who can I talk to about issues I may experience during the labour disruption?

International students can contact York International (YI) regarding study permits, UHIP and any non-academic questions through one of the following ways:

  • Email:;
  • Phone: (416) 736-5177; and
  • In person: 200 York Lanes (second floor of York Lanes). The York International office is open from Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 4:30pm; Friday 8:30am to 3:30pm.

York International will be updating their website regularly with crucial information regarding immigration policies and UHIP under the labour disruption situation.

With respect to your Study Permit:

With respect to work permits, UHIP coverage or your study abroad term at York, please contact the appropriate support service below:


For any questions related to Study Permit, Off-campus Work, Post-graduate Work Permit, etc.,   please contact


For any questions regarding changes to UHIP coverage, international and exchange students are encouraged to contact

YI Exchange Students from York Partner Institutions:

York U students wanting to do an exchange abroad can email, and student wanting to do an exchange at York U can email exhange@yorku.cawith any questions regarding their exchange term at York during the labour disruption.

I am an international student. What community social events are taking place on campus during the labour disruption?

York International is facilitating special social events for international students to participate in during the labour disruption. Please see our Events Calendar to learn more about these events. The event calendar will be updated regularly so please visit it frequently and feel free to contact York International at, telephone 416-736-5177 or visit our offices.

If you require accessibility or counselling and development services, please see the FAQ for Students Requiring Counselling, Accessibility or Accommodation Services.