FAQs for Students Requiring Counselling, Accessibility or Accommodation Services 

Stay up to date
Make sure we have your most up-to-date contact information to ensure that you are receiving official emails from York University about matters concerning your student record and financial status. If you have unsubscribed to York’s email service at any time (note we’re not talking about labour.yorku.ca email), you can resubscribe by sending an email request to subscribe@yorku.ca. Please include the preferred email address that is on your student record in your request. Verify or update your contact information.

I’m concerned about completing my studies and experiencing stress. Is there anyone I can talk to about challenges I may be facing during the labour disruption?

Student Counselling & Development  provides a professional and supportive environment in which you can discuss any challenges you may be having during the labour disruption. If you live in residence, you may also reach out to Residence Life staff (e.g. Residence Dons).

If you’d like to speak to someone about your thoughts and feelings regarding the labour disruption after regular business hours, we suggest contacting Good2Talk is a free, confidential and anonymous 24/7/365 helpline providing professional counselling, information and referrals for mental health, addictions and well-being to postsecondary students in Ontario. You can contact Good2Talk at 1-866-925-5454.

You might also consider the WellTrack app, an interactive self-help tool available to all York students. It can help you assess your mood and practice positive self-care.

If you’re an international student and would feel more comfortable talking to someone in a language other than English, the Multilingual Distress Lines can help. They’re open Monday to Friday, 10 am to 10 pm. This service is offered through Spectra Community Support Services.

Mandarin & Cantonese: 416-920-0497

Hindi, Urdu & Punjabi: 905-459-7777 ext. 2

Spanish: 905-459-7777 ext. 3

Portuguese: 905-459-7777 ext. 4

Where can I discuss my academic accommodations during the labour disruption?

Feel free to call or email your Accessibility Counsellor in Student Accessibility Services   with any questions or concerns you may have about your academic accommodations. If you are coming to campus, you can make an appointment to meet in person. If you are not coming to campus, you can discuss your accommodations over the telephone or via email. If you do not remember the name of your Accessibility Counsellor, just call one of the accessibility services units within Student Accessibility Services or your Accessibility Counsellor in the Accessibility, Well-Being and Counselling Centre if you are studying at the Glendon Campus.

-  Learning Disability Services, 416-736-5383

-  Mental Health Disability Services, 416-736-5350

-  Physical, Sensory & Medical Disability Services, 416-736-5140

If you are studying at the Glendon Campus, feel free to call or email your Accessibility Counsellor at the Accessibility, Well-Being & Counselling Centre, 416-487-6709.

I am a student awaiting resumption of Fall/Winter 2017-2018 session courses and I am experiencing increased stress and anxiety. Am I able to access Student Counselling & Development during the Summer 2018 session, even if I am not enrolled in summer courses?

All York University students who were enrolled in Fall/Winter 2017-2018 session courses and/or are enrolled in Summer 2018 session courses are eligible to access Student Counselling & Development for services this summer. If you have not accessed Student Counselling & Development services before, you will need to book an intake appointment: http://pcs.info.yorku.ca/accessing-counselling-services/.

To schedule an intake appointment, students must visit Student Counselling & Development (SCD) in N110 Bennett Centre for Student Services (SCD does not schedule intake appointments over the phone or allow others to book intakes on behalf of a student). Students requesting an intake appointment will be asked to provide some demographic information and the appointment will be scheduled. At peak times during the year, students may have to wait a short while for an intake appointment.

When you go to Student Counselling & Development to book your intake or crisis appointment, please let the front desk know if you are or have been registered with SCD in either term.  Students who will be registered for Fall 2018 courses but who are not enrolled in Winter or Summer cannot book an intake appointment until later in August.

What accessible transportation resources can I utilize during the labour disruption?

All University offices will remain open and will provide services as normal.

Wheel Trans (TTC) and Mobility Plus (YRT) will continue to service their regular day and evening stops on campus. Students should factor in more time to get to campus.

Passengers who use Wheel Trans (TTC) or Mobility Plus services should contact their service providers for more information or if they have any questions or concerns.

Anyone with mobility issues who requires assistance getting to/from the temporary bus stops can contact vango@yorku.ca in advance.

If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to consult with your Accessibility Counsellor in Student Accessibility Services.

For information about the goSAFE service, visit the goSAFE website.

What happens to my NoteSharing supports and notes for students who are deaf and hard of hearing during a labour disruption?

Students who access NoteSharing and are concerned about their note sharer not uploading notes during the labour disruption should contact notetake@yorku.ca or their Accessibility Counsellor in Student Accessibility Services to discuss.

What will happen during the labour disruption to tests and exams that were scheduled with the Alternate Exams Office?

The Alternate Exam Centre is open. There is no change to your scheduled alternate tests or exams for courses that are continuing during the labour disruption. For courses that are temporarily suspended during the labour disruption, we will update your alternate test or exam request once the labour disruption is over and these courses resume. Do not cancel any of your online requests: our office needs all of the original test information to process the required changes.

To check the status of your courses, please go to my.yorku.ca or www.yorku.ca/coursestatus.

To review the status of your test or exams with the Alternate Exams Office, please go to View my Bookings under the My Alternate Exams tab on the Alternate Exams website.

My previously scheduled Alternate Exams are no longer appearing on the Exam Schedule search. What happened to them?

The exam search website currently only includes exams for courses that have remained active and meeting during the labour disruption. Information about exams for courses that were suspended, or for students who have opted not to participate in courses that remained active will be provided when it becomes available.

Once the strike is over, how will my Alternate Exams for courses that had been suspended be rescheduled?

Four courses that have been suspended during the labour disruption, once they have resumed and exams rescheduled, your Alternate Test or Exam Request will be updated by the Alternate Exam office. Do not cancel any of your online requests: our office needs all of the original test information to process the required changes.

I am registered with Student Accessibility Services for accommodated testing. How do I request accommodations for my exams that have been rescheduled?

If you had already requested accommodated testing for an exam, then the Alternate Exams office will update your request once the exam has been rescheduled and notify you by email and on My Alternate Exams on the Alternate Exams website. If you had not previously requested an Alternate exam but now feel that you require one, please speak to your counsellor for options.