FAQs for Students Living in Residence, Other Campus Services

Will the labour disruption have an impact on Housing Services available to students living on campus?

Housing Services for both the Undergraduate Residences and York Apartments will continue normal operations. Residence and tenancy agreements remain in effect.

What can students living in residence do when certain classes have been suspended?

We encourage students to stay on top of their studies. Residence Life is offering additional programming to bring students living in residence together – we’d love to see you out at these events. Talk to your Don or visit your residence Facebook group for more information. This is also a great time to take advantage of workshops available on campus through various departments, such as the Career Centre , Learning Skills Services  and Student Counselling & Development.

Students looking to stay active can visit Tait McKenzie.

International students can participate in events hosted by York International.

Will Residence Community Standards change during the labour disruption?

No. As a residence community member it is imperative that you continue to follow community standards (e.g., quiet hours) – they are in place for your benefit and that of the greater residence community. They help create an environment that is conducive to study, sleep and success. Please be considerate of others who choose to use this time to focus on their studies and/or may have classes, examinations or instructional activities not covered by the suspension.

An alleged breach of community standards will be addressed as outlined in York University’s Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities . Those found responsible may face sanctions, such as educational requirements, fines, residence suspension and denial or loss of residence eligibility.

Should I tell anyone if I plan to be absent from residence during the labour disruption?

If you live in undergraduate residence and plan to be absent during the disruption you should inform your Don for safety and security reasons.

If I want to go home until the labour disruption ends, will I still have to pay for residence?

Undergraduate Residence and York Apartment Tenancy Agreements remain in effect. Although some students may choose to leave residence temporarily during a labour disruption, residents/tenants will continue to have access to their room/apartment.

What if I want to move out of residence during the labour disruption?

Undergraduate Residence and York Apartment Tenancy Agreements remain in effect. Please refer to the Undergraduate Residence Agreement. If you are York Apartment tenant, please refer to the details of your signed Tenancy Agreement. If you have specific questions, contact Housing Services.

Will I still receive my mail?

Yes. No disruption is expected to mail delivery by Canada Post; however, there may be some delays with deliveries.

What about the books I have from the library?

Library services will be maintained during the labour disruption. Regular material will circulate in accordance with normal policies. While overdue notices will continue to be issued by email during the labour disruption, no fines will accrue on any material. Books may be renewed in person or online via My Library Account  on the Libraries’ home page. More information about the impact of the disruption on access to collections and services can be found on the Library FAQ, or by contacting the Libraries at (416) 736-5181.

How can I contact Registrarial Services during the strike, and what are their hours of operation?

Registrarial Services remains open during the strike and will provide services as normal. If you want to check their hours of operation or have questions regarding courses and enrollment, your academic program, exams and tests, graduation or petitions, contact Registrarial Services in person, via phone or by email.

If you are a student at the Glendon campus, visit the Glendon website for a list of service providers.

How can I contact the Office of Student Community Relations during the strike, and what are their hours of operation?

The Office of Student Community Relations (OSCR) remains open during the strike and will provide services as normal. Visit the OSCR website for a complete list of resources and services provided and to check their hours of operation. You may also contact the OSCR by phone at 416-736-5231 or email oscr@yorku.ca during regular business hours.

How can I contact the Sexual Violence Response Office during the strike, and what are their hours of operation?

The Sexual Violence Response Office (SVRO) remains open during the strike and will provide services as normal. If you need support, you can contact SVRO 24/7 by calling 416-736-5211 or by emailing svro@yorku.ca. You can visit the office in person at W128 Bennett Centre for Student Services during the week. Visit the SVRO website for a complete list of services and resources and to check their hours of operation.

What services will the Career Centre provide students during the strike?

The Career Centre will be offering the following activities and options for students:

  • Students with scheduled appointments have the option of attending them in person or conducting them via telephone, e-mail or video chat.  Students with scheduled appointments will be contacted directly and presented with these options.
  • The following sessions, originally designed as in-person workshops will be offered in webinar format for students who may not wish to come to campus:
  • TASTE bite-sized mentoring opportunities will take place throughout the month of March as these activities take place off campus.
  • We are offering extended Drop-in Sessions in person and via webinar. Students may drop-in to speak with a Career Educator in person to get advice and feedback about their job search, find out about career development and job search resources and supports, or get quick tips for their résume or cover letter.  Drop-ins are 15-minutes and will be available on a first come, first serve basis. In the event we have students waiting, students will be asked to discuss only one main concern. Drop-ins are available at:
    • The Red Zone in Vari Hall on Tuesdays from 10am -12pm
    • The Learning Commons at Scott Library on Thursdays from 1-3pm
    • The Career Centre (extended hours to be posted on the Career Centre website)
    • We will also be offering drops-in via live webinar on March 15th from 11am-1pm and on March 22nd from 11am – 12pm. Once students register for these webinar drop-ins through the Career Centre's online system and they will receive login instructions.

What transportation resources can I utilize during the labour disruption?

Please refer to our Transportation FAQ for the latest information and resources.

I am paying for parking every month. What will happen with my parking bill during the strike?

All University offices remain open and will provide services as normal. Parking permits remain in effect during the strike, along with regular permit terms and conditions including refund policies. If you have questions regarding parking at York, please visit Parking Services.